Friday, July 29, 2011

Scratch and win lottery tickets

   Come on, you know it’s your guilty pleasure too, those damn lottery scratch and win tickets staring at you at the cash while you’re paying for whatever it was that you originally came in for. Normally you can resist the temptation walk out and feeling proud for not breaking down and buying one, but occasionally that itch inside you just gets the better and the next thing you know you’re walking out the door proud that you think you have picked the winning ticket it was just screaming your name. Out to the car you march and put it away for later all the while the thrill of hoping and wishing you did indeed pick the winning ticket or at least one that would pay out a couple hundred dollars.
   Hours later or whenever you pull out the ticket and begin to once again get excited maybe you’ll win. Last night I broke down and bought one of those scratch to win lottery ticket I hunkered down and chills of expectation and excitement coursed through my veins. Eagerly I scratched the ticket to reveal letters I needed to complete the cross word. With three words only revealed the best I could hope for was a lucky letter in the bonus section to give me that one crucial letter that would at least afford me a new ticket. With abaeded breath and anticipation the bonus section was revealed, but what I saw did not please me at all.
   Normally in the bonus section when scratched you could reveal an extra letter “Conrad’s you win $2” or “Good Luck”. These are all things I am very use to seeing and have come to accept, but what I scratched last night appalled me. Instead of the usual bonus phrase the bonus section I scratched out said, and I quote. “Bonus, you helped raise millions for the gaming corporation.”
   Are you kidding me? Really?
   I mean the descent thing to do would have been to say “Good luck, or Try again”. Instead they rub your nose in the fact that you were once again fool enough to buy their product, and worse than that they are basically thanking you for making them more “rich”.  

No comments: