Friday, July 22, 2011

What a day.

Have you ever had just one of those days? You know the ones I mean where you know you shouldn't get out of bed yet for some dumb reason you do. I had a day like that.
   For days we had been planning to go hiking out in our favorite place, it’s a mile long hike but we sure have a lot of fun. It was supposed to be just a fun family day, me, my husband Tim and our two children Dustin and Cassandra. Believe me you'll hear me bitch about them more lol.
   Anyway back to the day from hell. We woke especially early that morning. We were determined to make the best of it, you see our original plan was to hike out and spend the night, but unfortunately our dog Storm broke out in a horrible rash so we squashed the idea of camping.
   We probably should have put the whole trip on hold, but as stubborn as I am. I wanted to have a great day so out we marched.
   We waited days for the weather to clear up waiting for the rain to stop and sun to shin, finally the weather cooperated. It was supposed to be sunny hot and high humidity, a great day for swimming and playing.
   Upon getting out of the van and beginning our walk straight away we noticed the cool brisk breeze that was blowing "Oh hats nothing, its early morning still that will wear off and it will be hot." We said to ourselves.
   Carrying heavy packs and walking the mile out to our spot we were all eager to set up and relax. Even though the wind still hadn't died down and the sun was still behind the clouds we could have fun regardless. After our very long tiring mile long hike finally we made it to our rocky beach. The place we've been hiking out to for years. Exhausted we were just about to walk down to the beach when we saw the strange colour of the Ocean water. All the way out in the water was purple, the waves were purple even the beach was purple.
   Jelly fish.
   The entire beach was covered in jelly fish. We couldn't stay there, no way not with our two dogs. All it would take is for them to step on one purple Jelly fish and they could be seriously hurt. Then what would we do a mile from the car and a forty minute drive from the vet, we had no choice. We had to leave, well that beach anyway.
   Where we go is a large rock point that sticks out in the Ocean. The new plan was to pick up our packs and walk a bit farther to see if we could find a beach were the kids could swim and there were no jelly fish. We found a beach about fifteen minutes later. A cute little rock beach with large ragged rocks in the water, not a safe place to swim but the kids could find something else to do. We were happy to see that this side of the point was in fact jelly fish free.
   Soon we set up. Pulled a large log over where we wanted it, took out bowls for the dogs so they could get something to drink, and the kids found a great little brook running into the Ocean to play it. Yep we thought it was going to be a great day.
   The moment we became comfortable the wind picked up, and I don't mean just a little. It was a gail force wind strong enough to knock us off our feet if we weren't careful. Because of the wind we thought we should begin walking back, head over to the other side of the point where the wind wouldn't be so bad.
   It didn't take long before we found another good spot, a place where we were sheltered from the wind, jelly fish free, and a place where we could have a camp fire. Quickly we unpacked yet again.
   As the kids played, climbing up and down the large rocks, Tim and I went for a walk of our own.
   I knew we should have stayed home that day, just had that gut feeling.
   Tim and I found a couple of flat rocks to sit down on and have a break. Tim sat down comfortably first. As I turned around and got ready to sit my foot slipped in the rocks and instead of gracefully having a seat I fell. The worst part, I did not fall onto that flat rock. No no no, I fell back and hit my tail bone hard a jagged piece of rock that stuck out in a triangle shape.
   Yes, that’s right. The klutz that I am and a mile away from the van I break my tailbone. In excruciating pain I picked up my pack and soon began the long hike back.
   I really should have stayed in bed. It's now the end of July the warm weather is finally here and I hurt so dam bad that I don't know if we're even going to be able to do half what I had planned this summer. For now I have been a week on the couch looking at the hot shinning sun though my picture window wishing I listened to myself.
    What a day.
   So here we are with the best of the summer days to come and I had to go and break my ass. What a summer this is turning out to be.
  

No comments: