Monday, September 19, 2011

What is it with kids today?

     What is it with kids today?
     When I was a child I could easily amuse myself with any simple little toy. In fact my favorite was the old toys we use to get in the McDonalds happy meals and dinky cars. For hours I would build a city out of playing cards, use my comforter like a mountain and be content to play all day long. I was set. Whenever I got the latest toy or newest game I would play with that for hours to. What I am trying to say is that when I was a kid we had to find ways to entertain ourselves, and the toys back then are nowhere as good as they are today.
     I understand with each generation the toys get better and better, but now it seems like there is a lack to choose from. My 10 year old only wants electronics. He wants an i pad, an i phone and a cell phone. My 8 year old is following in the same steps. I try to give my kids everything I can, for that reason Dustin has 2 guitars and Cassandra has 2 pianos. They both have their own cordless microphone and a whole room devoted to just playing with instruments, unfortunately they just gave up 3 years worth of music lesson’s said they didn’t want it any more.
     On top of that they both own almost 2000 Lego pieces and can create anything from a car to a space ship to an entire pirate army as we also have pirates of the Caribbean Lego set. My son (who loves to build) also has 3 or 4 different K’nex sets with motors that I am positive he could create anything he put his mind to and 4 different car models to put together. My daughter has everything and more then you can imagine of littlest pet shop series along with whatever she needs to make enough bracelets to last her a lifetime. She to also has many things to build with and many, many craft supplies.
     Along with all the toys inside we also have an acre of land in which they are basically able to do with what they choose. We have a steep hill in the back the only problem is its covered in bushes, the hill would be great for tobogganing or snowboarding yet they refuse to go out and cut down what they need. We are also surrounded by trees and a large forest in the back. We have a ton of scrap wood in the yard and told them go build a fort, a tree house, go build something. To date all they have done is just move the wood from where it was out of the way to where it is in the way. The middle of our front yard. Another thing they own that I would have loved as a kid is their very own van. We had an old van that didn’t work any more so we parked it in the yard and said “Here you guys can use this to have fun in.” Do you think they spend any time in it? The answer is no they don’t.
     So I ask again why is it when I was a kid I could have hours upon hours of fun playing with the simplest of toys and yet our kids own nearly everything under the sun and if they’re not playing those damn video games all I hear is, “I’m bored I’m bored. We have nothing to do.”
     What is wrong with our kids today?

1 comment:

RaeBeth McGee-Buda said...

I completely agree. One afternoon we had a thunderstorm pass through and it knocked out our power. The power was off for like 5 hrs. My daughter was lost. She kept complaining that she had nothing to do. Her room is filled with baby dolls and other toys. We had candles lit and was enjoying the time as a family. (Well except for her.) She wanted to play on the computer and watch TV.