Monday, September 26, 2011

The hollidays

     I think I found out what is wrong with the world today.
     We are a society filled about worrying about tomorrow instead of today, now this is my reason for thinking this way.
     Back in the middle of August I took my 2 children Dustin 10 and Cassandra 8 out to get their school supplies and a new school outfit, but what I saw sickened me. All the stores around here, like I’m sure they do everywhere were using their store front windows for advertising. On this day in August we saw much more than we bargained for. On one side of the window display and that side of the store was filled with back to school. The windows were painted with school books pencils apples and desk’s, the other side of the window as well as the store was decked out in Halloween, yes that’s right I said it. The middle of August and on one side of the store we could get everything we needed for Halloween, costumes, make up house decorations, skeletons and ghosts.  
     Are you kidding me? Here people are concerned about getting enough money together so that their children could go to school feeling confident and here are all these stores reminding the children as well as kids that Halloween is right around the corner, well almost. See they skipped right over Labor Day, and what ever happened to Thanks giving? Instead of skeleton’s ghosts and grave yards don’t you think we should take some time to think about and celebrate what Thanks giving is about instead of just passing over it?
     Last week I had to go and do some regular shopping for your everyday needs. I had to go to the grocery store, Wal-Mart and the Dolor store. Again what I saw shocked me although it shouldn’t have it really did and it really bothered me. All the school supplies that were all up in the front of the stores were moved back to make room for you guessed it Halloween, but worse than that only half the section was filled with Halloween, the other half was filled or being filled with Christmas decorations. But I think the most disturbing thing I saw that day was when I went to the bank, did you know that inside my local bank branch already they have a Christmas tree, not just a tree but one that was fully decorated complete with Santa Clause sitting in a sleigh under the tree.
     This bothered me for more than one reason, first off it bothered me that here we are not even at October first and here the banks are already cramming Christmas down our throats. We live on a small island and jobs are scarce most people here worry about living day to day and here the bank is already getting people to worry and get scarred about how they are going to make Christmas happen for their kids, I just don’t think it’s right.
     But the biggest problem I have with all this is not the fact that people are already decorating for these holidays but that they are forgetting about the important ones in between. I mean in August yes we have to think about school, but in September shouldn’t we also take the time to recognize what happened that horrible, horrible day 10 years ago. September 11 2001. I’m not even from the United States and I am very fortunate to say that on that nightmare of a day I personally don’t know of anybody who perished then, but I do firmly believe that, that day should be put aside in remembrance of not only all those who lost their lives that day or their family but we should also be thinking about all the brave men and woman who have enlisted in the army just because of what happened that day. In October time should be taken out so that people can think about what truly is important, their family friends, health and having a great time. In November we celebrate Remembrance Day. In this house anyway it is treated and respected as it should everywhere. We wake up early watch the Ottawa celebrations and observe 2 separate moments of silence. One for 11:00 am in the maritime's and again at 11:00 am Ottawa time. We then spend the day as a family and talk about how lucky we are not to be in the middle of any war zone, we talk about the 2 world wars and teach our kids about the wars now in Afghanistan and Iraq. We tell them that if it weren’t for those brave men during the world wars then we would have nothing.
     So this is why I am so pissed off. I believe if you’re going to be decorating months in advance for the “commercial holidays then the stores and people as a whole should at least show a little respect and put something up in their display windows to remind us about all the other and family oriented holidays should also be displayed. This is just my opinion, but I must say it really does make me sick thinking about what kind of message we are sending our children.

No comments: